Fire Door Inspections: Get the Facts
Did you know?
- National estimates for nonresidential building fires totaled 111,000 in 2017.
- There were 95 deaths and 1,200 injuries.
- 2.7-billion dollars of damage and losses occurred due to these fires.
- There has been a 20% increase in these types of fires between 2008 and 2017.
- Due to these unfortunate circumstances, there has been a 16% increase in deaths.
These numbers aren’t anything to ignore. Protect yourself, your employees, and your physical business through regularly scheduled fire door inspections by Himmel’s Architectural Doors & Hardware. After all, prevention is the most effective way to avoid damage or loss.
Why Choose Himmel’s?
Himmel’s Architectural Doors & Hardware has IQP-Certified Fire Door Assembly Inspectors (FDAIs) on-staff, demonstrating our knowledge, understanding, and care for the subject of fire safety. Our professional staff is equipped to handle any scenario, being well-trained in the functional testing of fire doors. While many factors go into deciding how often your doors should be maintenanced, periodic inspections should happen no less than once per year.
How Often Should My Fire Doors Be Inspected?
The Louisiana State Fire Marshal requires these inspections to occur annually. But you should always consider the following:
- Age of the building
- History of emergency incidents,
- Volume of usage of your doors, and so forth.
Keep in mind that many operating components for an object as complex as a door are subject to extreme wear and tear, ultimately making them useless if they don’t undergo regular inspection and maintenance.
What Should I Expect?
When it comes to fire door inspections, Himmel’s is proud to operate by NFPA 80, The National Fire Protection Association’s standard guide for codes and best practices. We also go above and beyond typical inspection practices with our very own detailed checklist which was composed based on all the special scenarios and circumstances we’ve seen over our 40 years in business. Following the inspection, we’ll provide your team with a detailed report (photos, annotations, and a list of recommendations concerning any corrections that need to be made).
How Long Will It Take?
Turn-around time depends on the number of door openings that need to be inspected, the accessibility of the doors and the types of hardware used, and the complexity of the hardware, door functions, and electrified or automatic openings. Don’t forget, the people involved in the process can also add or detract from the timeline of the inspection.
- What is the level of detail the building owner expects from your reporting?
- Will you have at least one person knowledgeable with the facility available to assist our staff?
- Can your management or administrative team provide us with the building plans in a timely fashion?
Don’t Get Burned by Falling Behind on Regular Fire Door Inspections.
Wondering how long your Fire Door Inspection will take or have questions about our inspection process? Contact your local Himmel’s location, whether it’d be our headquarters in Prairieville, our New Orleans showroom, or our new home in Houston, Texas. In 2020, enjoy the peace-of-mind of knowing that your business is safe and protected by the specialists at Himmel’s Architectural Doors & Hardware.